Monday, 21 May 2012


“DIALOG BETWEEN H AND IV”

I have been studying at English Language Teaching Department for 3 years. Namely, will I be a teacher in the future? There is a problem, though. Not exactly a problem, but great problems!

Firstly, I do never feel myself ready and qualified for being a teacher. Actually, I feel as if I forgot what I have to teach. I do not remember especially some subtle distinctions in grammar. Even though I do know the right use, I cannot make its explanation. I just say “That is the right way!” What I immediately hear is “What is the explanation for that?” In this case, I force myself to explain it with my own words. What they want to hear is, let’s say, “stereotyped explanations.” That does not appeal to me. Even sometimes, I cannot understand why they ask such kinds of questions. Thus, I think that I have to revise all rules in grammar one by one elaborately.

I sometimes talk to myself “Would you like to teach English children or adults?” It is clear “Adults!” Teaching colors, numbers, or clothes is much more boring than teaching grammar for me. What is more, teaching English to young learners is harder than any job in the world. That is my personal idea. It is just like creating a new and distinct system in any untouched part of learner’s brain. Therefore, keep this advice in mind by Sultana (2010), kids are basically prone to learn new ideas from their sources of entertainment rather than formal instructions. Hence, use their sources of entertainment as a medium to teach English.

Last but not the least, I sometimes interrogate myself. This is a real dialog with my own inner voice (henceforth, IV).
           IV        : Fairly, tell me what you like as for English.
           H         : I like speaking, reading… English.
           IV        : That is not what I want to learn!
           H         : What?
           IV        :  Do you like teaching English? Be honest!
           H         : I do not know L ???
You can interpret this dialog however you want.

There are some other matters that concern me; even so, these ones, specifically the dialog with IV, seem to be enough and fairly acceptable for being in a dilemma for now on.

REFERENCES
Sultana, S. (2010).Cartoons as an entertaining source of learning English (L2) for the young      learners(YL). Retrieved April 10, 2012 from http://www.eltweekly.com/elt-  newsletter/2010/04/57-research-paper-cartoons-as-an-entertaining-source-of-learning-           englishl2-for-the-young-learnersyl-by-sharmin-sultana/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment